Fax numbers are essential to be able to send and receive faxes. Technology has evolved through the years and acquiring a free fax service has never been easier.
What was once an activity that was dependent on a landline and a machine has developed into a smartphone-internet collaboration, with no fixed lines and equipment involved!
So in this article, we will walk you through getting a free online fax number and why you should definitely do it.
Table of Contents
- How to Get a Traditional Fax Number?
- Why Should You Get a Free Fax Number Online?
- How Can You Get a Free Fax Number Without a Landline?
- How to Get a Free Fax Number Online With iFax: Step by Step Guide
- Can You Keep Your Free Fax Number After Your Free Trial Ends?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Online Fax Services
- Final Thoughts
How to Get a Traditional Fax Number?
In the past, getting a traditional fax number meant subscribing to a landline service that can call both locally and internationally. It also required that you own a fax machine.
Your fax number was then assigned by your telco provider to use exclusively for faxing. It was an additional paid service on top of your regular phone line. And while that sounds pretty straightforward, it was a highly insecure way of transmitting sensitive information.
Why Should You Get a Free Fax Number Online?
Today, faxes can be sent via encrypted channels online. What’s more is that you can do it with a laptop or smartphone and an internet connection. By partnering with an online fax service, you can send and receive faxes for free.
You can even select your free fax number with your chosen area code. This makes the online faxing solution more convenient. If anything, it is definitely the best way to go in this digital age. Here are other benefits of getting a free fax number online:
Most online faxing services are highly encrypted, using 256-bit SSL or similar systems. This is to ensure that only the sender and receiver of the document can access it. Hence, it is perfect for sending and signing contracts, among others.
Faxing online means there’s no need to pay for paper, a fax machine, or maintenance. So, you can also fax even when you are not in the office. You can do it in the comfort of your home, for as long as you have an internet connection.
Faxes are saved as electronic files (also called efax), eliminating the need for paper and equipment. They can also be signed electronically. So, this can potentially reduce your carbon footprint. More so, it reduces the need to cut down trees to produce more papers.
Easy to set up and use
As compared to using traditional fax machines, all you need to do is download an online faxing app. Then, you have to be be connected to the Internet, sign up for an account, and start sending and receiving faxes.
How Can You Get a Free Fax Number Without a Landline?
Getting a free fax number without a landline is easy. Even without a phone line or fax machine, you can still get a free fax number online. Once you have your free fax number, you can immediately receive faxes from virtually anywhere!
Here’s how you can get a free fax number online:
How to Get a Free Fax Number Online With iFax: Step by Step Guide
Getting a fax number before wasn’t free at all. But with the advancement of technology, you can now do it even at the comforts of your home. Here’s how you do it:
The steps below are subjective to iFax only. However, this process can give you an idea of what you might see with other fax service providers.
- Step 1. Sign up for an account on iFax. You can do it on the Web, Mac, Windows, Android, or iOS.
- Step 2. You can choose to keep your free account, but a free online fax number will be provided once you upgrade your account. Check the premium plans and pick whatever suits best for you. Don’t worry though because you won’t have to pay upfront. There’s still a 7-day free trial.
- Step 3. Select your desired Country, City and/or Area Code, and then choose your desired fax number. iFax will generate them for you and you have to pick one to stick by and give to your senders.
- Step 4. Review the subscription charges and free trial plan information and conditions related to it. This will give you an idea of what comes with signing up for a premium account. Do note as well that you can cancel the subscription anytime within the trial period. Otherwise, if you exceed, you’ll get charged.
- Step 5. After, move further by providing your financial information to confirm the purchase of your fax number. You won’t be charged for the first week since that is the trial period. So, cancel within that time if you don’t want to get charged and continue using the plan.
Why do you need to provide your financial information if you are getting a free trial?
Providing your financial information is necessary to activate your free trial. Rest assured, your financial information is kept private and well-secured. To avoid incurring any charges, you must cancel your free trial during the given 7-day period.
Should you wish to subscribe again or upgrade from trial to any paid subscription, you can do so anytime with no additional setup fees and no hidden monthly charges.
Can You Keep Your Free Fax Number After Your Free Trial Ends?
Canceling your subscription would also mean losing your fax number and repeating this process with any other online fax service provider. Hence, you can get a free fax number for a free trial period, after which you will need to subscribe to the package.
Thankfully, iFax provides flexible and affordable pricing options for you to choose from, which can range from monthly to yearly plans. iFax also provides unique plans that are customized to the needs of your business.
With iFax, you can lower costs by not having to maintain your fax machine, buying paper, and ink, among others. Plus, the charges to send one fax via email can cost you less than your tea or coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Fax Services
To help you further in deciding to get a fax number online, or where and how to get it, here are some of the frequently asked questions, answered.
Does Google Have Free Fax Service?
Google doesn’t have a free fax service. It does not directly offer fax services through Google Fax or Google Online Fax, either. The best way to use Google to fax is to integrate a third-party online fax service such as iFax into Google Workspace.
Through this, you can send and receive faxes online directly from Gmail, Google Chrome, and Google Drive.
Can You Get a Fax Number Through Google?
Google does not have a fax service. So, it cannot issue a fax number for you. Basically, there is no direct way to get a free fax number online through Google.
A Google fax number is a free fax number that you can only acquire online through online fax services like iFax.
Using your Google Voice Number
If you want to have a Google Fax Number, the next best option would be to use your Google Voice Number. Since Google Voice is not designed to send or receive a fax, you will need to go through cumbersome methods to make this possible.
Fortunately, there is an easier workaround. To use your GV number as your Google Fax number, you can port it to an online fax service. To do this, you need an online fax service that allows fax number porting. But, you should note that most fax services do not allow fax number porting for free.
Once you’ve successfully ported your GV number, you can start using it as your Google Fax Number. You may then use this number to start receiving faxes online.
How Can You Receive a Fax Electronically for Free?
With online fax services like iFax, it is 100% possible to receive faxes electronically for free. All you need is a free fax number, which you can easily acquire as long as you follow the steps mentioned above.
If you want is to receive fax electronically for free, there are multiple ways to get it done! Here are some of the ways that you can do it.
Receive faxes electronically via Web
If you want to receive faxes electronically without downloading or installing any software, the best way to do it is via the Web. Here’s how you can get it done:
- Step 1. Open your web browser and go to ifaxapp.com. Get your free online fax number if you still haven’t done so. You can do this by signing up for an account on iFax based on the pricing plan that suits you best.
- Step 2. Once you have the free fax number through the free trial, tell your sender to send the fax to that number.
- Step 3. Check your iFax online dashboard for a new notification. As soon as the fax is received, you will be notified and it will also show up on your online fax records.
Receive faxes electronically via PC or Mac
To receive faxes electronically via computer, you will need fax software for PC or Mac. It depends on what computer platform you have.
- Step 1. Get a free fax number online by following the steps mentioned above. You need an active fax number to receive a fax. Tell the sender to send faxes to your fax number.
- Step 2. Download and install the appropriate fax software for your computer. Once installed, launch.
- Step 3. After launching the fax software, log in to your iFax account. For new users, you can sign up for an account.
- Step 4. Check your reports for received faxes which automatically show up on the main screen. For every new fax received, it should automatically appear on your reports. You will also get notified.
Receive faxes electronically via Mobile
To receive faxes electronically via mobile or smartphone, you need to do the following steps:
- Step 1. Get a free online fax number. Have your sender send a fax on this number.
- Step 2. Install a fax app on your smartphone. You can install the free fax apps of iFax on Android and iPhone.
- Step 3. Launch the fax app and log in to your iFax account. If you don’t have an account yet, you can sign up to create one.
- Step 4. Go to your app’s home screen and check your received faxes. The most recent fax you received should appear on top of the list.
Receive faxes electronically via Email
If you are a heavy email user and would like to receive faxes electronically for free via email, you can easily do so. You just need to configure your online fax service to send the faxes directly to your email. This method works on any email service like Gmail, Outlook, etc.
Is There a True Free Fax App?
Yes, there is a true free fax app that you won’t need a credit card to avail of. Unlike other online fax software, iFax is an app that allows you to send and receive faxes completely for free.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Step 1. Go to ifaxapp.com or install the app on your Mac, iOS, and Android devices. Then, sign up for a free account.
- Step 2. Import the documents that you have to send. You can import them from your File Explorer or you can fetch the file from your email account.
- Step 3. Input the fax number of your recipient and all other necessary details. After, you can choose to add a signature and cover sheet. This is optional, but it helps in making your fax personalized.
- Step 4. After you double-check on the attachments and other important details, click Send.
- Step 5. Look out for your email account because iFax will send over real-time updates on whether your fax has been delivered already or not.
When you follow these steps, you can already send faxes free of charge. So, you can do so much with just the free account.
What Is the Best Free Fax App for Faxing?
There are a lot of online faxing apps, but not all of them offer the functionality that is best suited for users living the modern lifestyle. If you want the best-performing fax app with modern features and a user-friendly UI, you can try iFax.
It is a GLBA and HIPAA-compliant software that ensures the faxes you sent are safe and secure. Hence, it is perfect to use for various industries. Apart from this, iFax is also 256-bit encrypted so your documents are only accessible to you and your recipient.
This is important because most documents shared by different parties are confidential. And you have to keep them that way in order to prevent any possible legal disputes.
To further ensure security and accuracy, you can integrate your faxes to Google Workspace. So, you can easily access it on Google Drive. This allows you to delete the wrong fax sent and replace it with the right one.
Here are other benefits of using iFax for online faxing:
- Sends faxes in a minute and receives automatic updates
- Easy to use when a document has to be signed electronically
- Simple to synch across multiple devices to update fax records
- Customer-friendly with 24/7 customer support for questions and concerns.
Are you looking for the best free online fax service?
It is time to stop your search for the best online fax service. There is no need to look further! With iFax, you can easily streamline your fax process and even get a free fax number online with no setup fees.
No hidden monthly charges. You can even cancel or upgrade anytime! Create an account with iFax today and discover the modern way of faxing that lets you fax anywhere at any time.
Thanks to modern faxing technology, anyone can now get a fax number without a phone line or fax machine. Since the number of users who fax online is growing, it is only befitting to acquire a fax number online.
After all, you might end up needing one when you least expect it. By having one, you are always ready. You won’t have to worry about looking for a nearby fax center just to receive faxes. Gone are those days where faxes are typically constrained to offices.
Faxing has now evolved in a way that it has become more accessible to users. Even without a fax machine, people can receive faxes directly on their smartphones and computers. Sign up for our free trial today and get a fax number for yourself.